We strive to provide a safe and nurturing learning environment for every student in Lorena ISD. If you would like to serve on our School Health Advisory Council, please contact us.
School Health Advisory Council (SHAC)
The Lorena ISD School Health Advisory Council is a school board approved advisory group made up of individuals who represent different segments of the community. By law, a majority of the members must be persons who are parents of students enrolled in the district and who are not employed by the district. The LISD SHAC is made up of parents, community members, and school staff all working together to improve the health and safety of all students, staff, and families through coordinated school health programs.
Why do we need a School Health Advisory Council (SHAC)?
- It's Texas law: Title 2, Chapter 28, Section 28.004 of the Texas Education Code
- Healthy children learn better
We, the Lorena School Health Advisory council exist to fulfill the law in providing, evaluating, and adopting health/safety education curriculum for Lorena ISD. We promote family and community involvement in the selection of materials, programs, and events with the goal of expanding our students understanding of true and complete health both physically and emotionally.
The SHAC meets four times during the school year, more often as needed.
How can I help?
- Become knowledgeable about district efforts to create healthy learning environments.
- Help implement practices that promote healthy lifestyles for our children.
- Attend District SHAC meetings.
Physical and mental resources available at each campus
- Health Resources available at each campus:
- Full-time RN available at LPS, LES, and LMS.
- Part-time RN available at LHS.
- Mental Health Resources available at each campus:
- Full-time District Guidance Counselors (Click here to visit their website.)
- 1 Full-Time Counselor at Primary
- 1 Full-Time Counselor at Elementary
- 1 Full-Time Counselor at Middle School
- 2 Full-Time Counselors at High School
- Klaras Center Therapist and Social Worker available to LISD students as referred.
- One full-time school psychologist, LSSP, available to LISD.
Nearest provider of essential public health services
- Waco – McLennan County Public Health District
- 225 W. Waco Drive, Waco, Texas 76707
Nearest local mental health authority
- Heart of Texas MHMR
- 110 S. 12th Street, Waco, Texas 76701
The SHAC is currently seeking members!!
If you are interested in serving on the SHAC, please contact:
Kim Michna, SHAC chair (254)723-5314
Cindy Fulton RN, School Nurse (254)857-4621
Next SHAC Meeting: Thursday, December 5
6:30 pm - Lorena Middle School