Individuals Confirmed or Suspected of COVID-19
When to return to school/work from absence due to being positive for COVID-19 or for COVID-19 related symptoms
The following criteria must be met:
- At least 24 hours (1 full day) have passed since recovery as defined as resolution of fever without the use of fever-reducing medications and
- Improvement in other symptoms and
- At least 10 days must have passed after onset of symptoms or positive COVID-19 test OR if the absence is due to symptoms only without a positive test a person may obtain a medical professional’s note clearing the individual for return before the 10 day period
- Campus nurse approval for return for students and HR approval for return for employees
*If a person’s symptoms persist for more than 10 days, a note from a qualified medical professional is required before returning.
**Students who receive a positive COVID-19 diagnosis and who participate in UIL/Extracurricular activities must also obtain a doctor’s release prior to returning to participation.
***If a parent identifies their child as a close contact to a positive case, they may choose to keep their student at home for a 10 day quarantine period. If this decision is made, the child is required to stay home for the entire 10 day quarantine period and cannot participate (including practices) in extracurricular activities until the quarantine period is over.
Parent Contact and Safe Return to Campus
- Requirement is for parents/guardians to pick-up within one hour after being notified by the nurse of a child’s illness. Please understand that the student will be isolated and clinics have limited space.
- Parents will adhere to acceptable/safe return to campuses following illness in accordance with TEA guidelines and current Lorena ISD policy; See “When to return to school/work from absence due to being positive for COVID-19 or for COVID-19 related symptoms” section above.
- The District will submit required reports of positive cases to the Waco-McLennan County Public Health District and to the Texas Department of State Health Services. This process is in place to control the spread of COVID-19.
Parent Notification Regarding Positive COVID-19 Cases
- Lorena ISD is committed to being transparent.
- The primary and elementary school campuses will notify parents via email when a student or staff member tests positive for COVID-19 in your student’s class. In addition, the campus will send a campus-wide email informing the campus of the positive case(s).
- The middle school and high school campus will send an email out to campus parents when a student or staff member tests positive. The email will include the grade level of the student.
- We will not send district-wide emails this year. However, the district will maintain the COVID-19 dashboard on our website. Positive students and staff cases will be tracked via campus and grade level. The dashboard will provide an overview of the number of positive cases in Lorena ISD daily.